Monday, November 18, 2013

This One Is For The Parents Out There. Homemade Baby Food



      Its important to me what I put into my body, so why give my child things I won't eat because its easier or faster….No thank you. Its just as easy to make a tiny amount of extra food that your preparing for yourself and freeze it or set it aside for your child, spices and all! Mr. Booty eats pretty much anything we do. From fruits and veggies to meats, grains, fats, spices and so much more! He isn't super fussy with his foods, loves spices and enjoys trying new things. There are so many ways to make and store your baby foods. Below ill put together some recipes and ideas along with how I store my foods and also some other options if the way I use does not work for you.

-Storing - There are many ways to store your baby food but I make in bulk and store in the freezer using the Infantino Squeeze Station. It stores well in the freezer or refridgirator in small pouches. Here are some other ways you can also store your food if this isn't for you.

-Recipes - Keep it simple! Prep your foods, place in a blender, baby bullet, handheld blender, etc and divide it up into portions. As they get older you can mash, cut into small pieces and have it less mushy. Here are a few ideas and recipes for foods Mr. Booty eats.

If your baby is still young and your feeding them oatmeal I suggest to place the oats in a processor and turn it into a powder until the baby is old enough for it to be a little thicker.
Oats, Banana and Cinnamon
-1/8 cup quick oats
-1/2 banana
-Pinch of cinnamon
Make oats according to directions, mash up or purée banana and place in oats, sprinkle cinnamon and stir.

Black Beans and Avocado- I use dry beans so I have to pre make my beans ahead of time according to package directions. When beans are cooled I purée them with a blender or fork mash them (as much as I need.
-1/4cup or so Black beans 
-1/8 avocado mashed
Add avocado to beans and feed. (package up leftovers for another meal or freeze to pull out later).

Eggs, Cheese and Salsa
-1 Liquid egg white
-Pinch shredded cheese
-1/2 Tsp salsa
Cook eggs accordingly, top with cheese and salsa, stir. (I usually make a little extra for me and then scoop out his portion, it's part of my everyday breakfast)

Lentils, Curry and Chicken
-1/8th cup lentils (cooked)
-Pinch of curry
-1 cubed inch chicken (mashed, shredded or puréed)
Cook lentils according to directions, use leftovers for yourself or freeze for later use. Cook chicken till done, use leftovers for yourself or freeze for later use. Place 1/8 cup cooked lentils In a bowl, mash or purée them, place the mashed or puréed chicken in same bowl, add curry and stir.

Squash and Cinnamon
-1/4 cup squash
-Pinch of cinnamon, taste
Make a whole squash, bake, grill or however you choose. Mash up squash add cinnamon and stir.

-Everything you are doing is just making normal food that u can eat but just taking small bits for baby. You can pre make tons of food for baby with all this and freeze for later or you can make as you need and use the rest for your breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner.

-List of Foods Mr. Booty Eats - We give Tesla everything! Here is a list of foods he eats most often and combos of some foods as well.

Apples, Bananas, Pears, Avocado, Oatmeal (normal oats not baby cereal), Black beans, Lentils, Salsa, Chicken, Eggs, Ezekiel Toast, Squash, Sweet potatoes, Rice, Strawberries, Cheese, Tofu. Spices are a hit as well, Cinnamon, Curry, Garlic, Nutmeg, Ginger, I like to use spices as extra flavor and not use sugars or anything to sweet to get him to eat. We usually place cinnamon with his fruits and oatmeal, lentils and curry, black beans and avocado, apples and bananas, strawberries and apples, eggs and salsa, eggs and cheese, sweet potatoes and cinnamon.


-Food Prep - Depending on what you make, you may need to prep you foods. Wash fruits and veggies with your choice method, I have a veggie wash I use. Steem fruits and veggies to soften them while babys are younger. Purée all fruits and veggies so there is no risk of choking (may need to add formula, breastmilk or water to make it a little more runny). If your making meat, cook thoroughly and purée. Cut foods into tiny pieces as not to choke on them (when older), Foods like fruits, veggies, toast, eggs, tofu, etc. I over cook Ezekiel toast and let tesla chew on it, he is teething so is serves as a dual purpose. He sooths his gums and he is getting a healthy bread alternative. I give him the whole piece and let him feed himself. As they get older you can mash foods and have them more "hearty" because they will be a le to chew more foods.

       believe it's important to teach you children healthy habits. Starting off when they are babies is a perfect time to start that way they will be accustom to it early in life. Yes it's ok to treat kids but having treats and processed foods be a staple in they food habits in my opinion is not teaching them smart choices. Not everyone will agree with me or say oh there kids let them enjoy.....no, learning young healthy eating is more important then, oh just because they are kids they can eat whatever. You can learn to make smart "treats" with them. Trade up flours, sugars, fats with something a little better and more healthy for you. Now I haven't always been this way, it's taken years to get use to, it's takes years of research, hard work and determination to be able to say NO to people, foods and drinks but I'm happier, healthier and feel amazing and I want that not only for myself and my husband but Mr. Booty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment